Fire Safety Video - Please watch this - it could save your life http://www.dundee.ac.uk/safety/training/fire-safety/ (with grateful thanks to the University of Dundee for permission to use this).
- IF YOU FIND A FIRE - RAISE THE ALARM
- IF THE ALARMS ARE NOT SOUNDING – BREAK THE GLASS IN A CALLPOINT - THIS WILL SOUND ALARMS
- RING 999 THEN INFORM LODGE
- IF YOU HEAR THE ALARM - STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING - ALERT OTHERS - EVACUATE THE AREA ASAP. CLOSE DOORS AND WINDOWS AND TURN OFF EQUIPMENT IF THERE IS TIME
- DO NOT STOP TO COLLECT PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- DO NOT RUN - IF YOU PASS CLOSED DOORS KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND SHOUT FIRE - DO NOT OPEN DOORS
- USE STAIRS NOT LIFTS - GO TO THE NEAREST ASSEMBLY POINT – FIND OUT WHERE THIS IS NOW!
- STAY AT ASSEMBLY POINT UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD IT IS SAFE TO RE-ENTER BUILDING
Please read the fire notice in your room or flat. Find out your fire exit route and where your fire assembly point is. Fire break glasses are located at the entrance to staircases and buildings and on each landing. Learn where they are.
All fire doors and must be kept closed at all times. All exits must be kept clear. Anything found blocking fire exits will be removed without warning. The use of incense, candles or any naked flame is forbidden. Any incense, candles or similar materials that are found in your flat that College staff suspect are being used will be confiscated without notice.
All electrical appliances should be switched off when not in use and sockets should not be overloaded. Interfering or tampering with fire detection equipment or systems and/or reckless behaviour that could cause fire or the actual causing of fires are serious disciplinary offenses that will be dealt with by the Dean and could lead to criminal prosecution.
If the alarm sounds you MUST vacate the building. The alarms are tested weekly. This is the only occasion that you do not need to vacate the premises unless they sound for longer than 3 minutes. Please check the notice boards to find out when yours will be tested.
Should there be a problem with any of the sounders in your room, staircase or flat please notify the Lodge immediately.
Fire extinguishers are situated throughout College, but you should not attempt to use one to tackle a fire unless you have been trained to do so. Never interfere with fire extinguishers.
Fire doors are designed to keep fires at bay for a period of time. Never proper open a fire door or interfere with their closers. If you notice a fire door that is unable to close please report it immediately.
NEVER interfere with fire equipment, alarms or any extinguishers, it s a very serious offense and will not be taken lightly.