Oxford is a wonderful place, rich in opportunities to fulfil one's potential. However, it is not unusual for some welfare need to arise during a student's time at Oxford. Such needs vary in their nature and urgency. A difficulty at home can produce stress, which in turn affects work patterns. Financial difficulties can make it hard to do as much academic work as you would like during the vacations. Sometimes students can experience depression from time to time. The College and University takes seriously their role in promoting the well-being of all our students and provides a wide range of facilities to ensure that time spent here is fruitful and enjoyable.






  • Illness and University examinations: If a University examination is adversely affected by illness or some other exceptional circumstance, you should make sure that the Academic Director is informed as soon as possible so that arrangements can be put in hand to notify the Junior Proctor who, if appropriate, will advise the examiners. Medical certificates (obtainable from the College doctors) and other appropriate supporting evidence are required.  Please note that the Junior Proctor will not accept evidence relating to the disruption of revision time.  Only in exceptional circumstances will Proctors consider evidence after exams.
  • Suspension of Status (undergraduates)
  • Suspension of Status (postgraduates)
  • Oxford University's advice on Meningitis and Mumps
  • Health and Welfare section - Student Gateway website
    • Health - registering with health professionals, medical emergencies, occupational health and an A-Z of health advice pages on common topics;
    • Disability Advisory Service - guidance on study support including funding, special examination arrangements and fact sheets on specific disabilities;
    • Counselling Service - comprehensive new range of pages outlining the support available to students in the form of individual and group counselling, workshops and self-help resources;
    • Student-led support - information on the Peer Support scheme, OUSU Student Advice Service and Nightline;
    • Equality & Diversity - Introduction and links to the Equality and Diversity Unit website and an outline of the role it plays in ensuring no student will be treated less favourably on the grounds of age, gender, race, religion & belief and sexual orientation;
    • Childcare services - useful links to services and support available for student parents.​
  • Oxford University's Self-Help advice - list of subjects and recommended resources/reading







  • Students Against Depression
  • YoungMinds
  • It Gets Brighter is a forum supporting young people with mental health issues
  • Oxford Student Mental Health Network
  • Oxford University 'Mind Your Head
  • Mind is a mental health charity and their website provides a guide to mental health resources in Oxfordshire
  • TalkingSpace offers a range of approved therapies for the treatment of depression and anxiety in Oxford including cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), courses, and group sessions
  • Headspace is an award-winning digital health platform, provided guided meditation sessions with mindfulness training. You can download the app or use the online version and the first 10 sessions are free
  • Online self-help therapies NHS-approved free, flexible and effective treatment for anxiety, depression, and stress
  • MoodGym is a free, interactive self-help programme that provides cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) training in order to help users prevent and cope with depression. Developed by the Australian National University
  • Beating the Blues is an online proven treatment for people coping with depression and low mood  depression


As a supportive and inclusive community, Jesus College is committed to the University's Transgender Guidance and Policy. The first point of contact for a student wanting to come out as trans at College is the Academic Director, Dr Alexandra Lumbers (academic.director@jesus.ox.ac.uk). Other members of staff, such as those in the Welfare Team, may also be approached.

We acknowledge that some students may have concerns about coming out as trans (perhaps regarding those at home finding out, or about visas if they are an international student) and we can certainly be flexible in coming to arrangements on such issues if they are raised. Students requiring time away from their studies for medical reasons should feel free to mention this to us so that options for deferral and/or suspension can be discussed. All conversations regarding this process will be handled sensitively and respectfully.

Further information about University-wide policy and welfare provision for students who want to transition is available on the University’s LGBTQ Society website. Students may also find Gendered Intelligence resources useful – especially the mentoring for students.



  • Oxfordshire Sexual Health Service sexual health clinics offering a full range of services including genitourinary medicine (GUM) and contraception: testing for and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), all types of contraception including emergency contraception, advice on safer sex, relationships, drug-use or other health-related issues; and HIV care. The nearest clinic is at the Churchill Hospital in Headington (take the number 4 bus from the High street)



  • University advice on sexual violence
  • University advice on supporting students and staff who have experienced sexual assault
  • Oxford Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Centre - a free and confidential service offering support to women and girls who are dealing with the effects of sexual violence
  • Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) - SARCs have specially trained experienced professionals who can give medical help and advice. They can store forensic results until the individual makes up their mind whether or not to report to the police and can support them through the immediate trauma. The SARC should be contacted before travelling; whilst they operate a 24 hour service they do need to ensure the relevant staff are available. Someone will need to accompany the individual to a SARC or arrange for someone else to do so, and ensure that the individual does not need to pay for transport: College will cover the taxi fare of travelling to and from the SARC and the Lodge can order a taxi. The nearest Centres are at Swindon, Milton Keynes, and Slough.

  • Oxfordshire's Reducing the Risk of Domestic Abuse offers advice for those experiencing domestic/relationship abuse.





  • Jesus College Policy and Procedure on Harassment
  • Harassment: the University provides a three-stage process for handling student complaints of harassment; this consists of informal action; seeking support & advice from the officec of the Director of Student Welfare and Support Services; and making a formal written complain to the Proctors. The College has two Harassment Officers for students who can offer confidential advice: Megan Daffern, Welfare Officer/Chaplain (megan.daffern@jesus.ox.ac.uk) and Mr Sailesh Vyas, Academic Services Manager (sailesh.vyas@jesus.ox.ac.uk). Students can also contact the University's harassment line: harassment.line@admin.ox.ac.uk or 01865 (2)70760. The full policy and procedure on harassment can be  found at: University Policy & Procedure on Harassment and there is also a helpful one-page flow-chart to guide students who are experiencing harassment.








Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2018 Jesus College, Oxford OX1 3DW | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | Design by styleshout